Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cooler than me.

The Mike Posner song that's on my miniaturized playlist on Paul's phone while my ipod classic 1st Gen continues to SUCK. It got me through a a new limit for my run. Today's run was completed in under an hour and I ran (according to GPS) 5.5 miles. The personal best part was running the first leg of my circuit for 14 minutes, no stopping, from Trailwood near my house to the end of the town branch trail, all. the. way. to. the. top. BOO. YAH. Turned around at the top and walked for a brief 30 seconds and then ran all the way back, another 13 minutes. BOO. YAH. I can't believe it. The most surprising thing about all this is that I don't feel like total shit and feel, actually, pretty damn good. I ran with Paul's sister tonight, Becky, who like me three weeks ago, hasn't exercised, at all in forever. So she ran 30 second stints as much as she could, while I kicked ass, not hers, but mine. This sounds like an excuse, but it really isn't, I only stopped at the beginning again because I wasn't sure how far behind Becky was. Now, this isn't a comparison between Becky and myself, she is W1D1 of the "program" or whatever you want to call it, so even if she doesn't continue it, that is the level she is at. I could have kept running, but Becky was nice enough to come and along and provide company so I didn't totally want to run around without her. I really believe that I could run this 5K on Saturday under 40 minutes. I am, it seems, a slow runner, or maybe that is stricly classified as "jogging". Whatever, haters, I am exercising, more than I ever have since I quit Irish dancing, so you can suck it. Whatever you classify it as, I classify it as getting off the couch and sweating my arse off thank you very much.

Didn't see any snakes, didn't see any bunnies either.... Mayhaps the bunnies are being digested and the snakes are laying low in the tall grass resting their full bellies. I'm on team bunny, so snakes, whatever the hell you are (black rat snake or copperhead) I am an equal opportunity snake hater and I want to kill you all. I analyzed each and every leaf grouping and stick gathering on my trail though, with anxiety as the cluster approached, closer and closer until I realized it wasn't a snake. I hate snakes, why'd it have to be snakes?

People who meet me and subsequently know that I grew up in Australia cannot believe that I never saw a snake in my home land. NO. I NEVER saw a snake in the wild, like just laying there, not in my backyard, not in the bush, nowhere and I've been out bush, camped and hiked in Australia. I'm sure they were there, but I never saw a snake in the wild until I moved to Kentucky and saw a water moccasin swimming in Lake Herrington. Now that's a sight that makes me wanna jump right in that swampy, tepid human waste lake. The only thing that makes me wanna jump in that lake is 6 beers.

I've seen every single kind of spider possible in Austrailia, all the venomous poisonous, long legged, huge black bodies, red stripedy and fangy arachnids, but a snake, none. God I hate spiders, snakes more though, they seem more squirrely, and could slither away easier than spiders that I could use an atmosphere ozone hating aerosol to dump an entire $3.99 Raid can on. Snakes, I'd need to find a large rock, aim and account for wind, velocity, speed and crush at the right moment. That's seems a little more difficult, so I opt for Spider killing instead, all snakes, please keep to yourself, don't present me with a need to find a large cinder block.

I run on Saturday, my first 5K ever. I hope to run that in 40 minutes or less. I hope that I run for 15-20 minutes, then I'll stop for 1:30, then I'd like to think that I would run the entire rest of the way before getting to the finish. That is my goal. Today is Sunday, I will run Monday Wednesday and Thursday or T,W,R. I'll walk on Friday, eat pasta salad for an early dinner and the plan is to get up Saturday at 6:30 am, eat a Special K breakfast bar, pack plenty of water and head out from the house at 7:15 am for my 8am race. It's not a race to me and I am not competing with anyone, not even myself, I have a time goal, because I now know I can run this thing, just a time goal and a goal to just do it. Ahh Nike, what a great marketing slogan, probably not as catchy as the one Paul came up with, which I will get make into a t-shirt - "stop sucking." I love it.

Tomorrow is work, but only for 3 days, then it's the 4th of July long weekend, I love it, I can make it through three days...surely... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment