Sunday, June 27, 2010

Along the trail....

I'll start this blog in reverse order, though I shouldnb't have said anything, I should have just performed my Quentin Tarantino story telling and let you figured it out. Since I believe I am not half as talented as that man, I figured I ought to let you know what is going on.

Returned home from a very vigorous walk with Joseph, this kid can run! He ran for 1/4 - 1/2 mile consistently, and not just jogged, ran! I couldnt' believe it. We took the stroller and he got up and run, while I raced behind witha stroller and Dingo, I had to keep up a good pace to stay on track with him! Showed Paul on his Palm Pre a photo of a snake we literally almost stepped on. It didn't really freak me out at the time, the snake was little, but also the coloring looked harmelss, but taking the evidence back home to paul it was frightening to find out that it could be a copperhead. I got Dingo and my child way too close to that thing. Now I didn't go all up close and Steve Irwin this little guy, but I SHOULD have picked up a large rock and smashed him from a distance. I'd rather see 1,000 bunnies I need to get rid of myself, than snakes. Insert Indiana Jones quote here "Snakes.... why'd it have to be snakes... I hate snakes..."

NOW I will know why if I don't see very many bunnies on my trail anymore.

Joseph can also bowl, he LOVED the bowling shoes (pink and yellow, flourscent at that) and he asked if we could take them home. Amm.. bowling shoes don't really go with anything unless you plan on walking around like Charlie Sheen in 2 1/2 men all day and I won't have that. It was for Taylor's 5th birthday party and thankfully at this party Taylor didn't break his arm like he did at Joseph's that Joseph keeps bringing up and can't let go of. Jospeh will remember that forever! He picked up a size 8 ball and carried it all himself and dropped it down the "slide" and got several spares! It was a fun little party. A celebratory strike or "more than 2 pins" dance was customary, think a mixture of Saturday night fever and air guitar.

Previous to that we went for a swim. That was way more of a hassle that it should have been, but I TRIED to do somethng "nice" and as I knew it would, it was just a bad idea. So Joseph and I went to Masterson Station pool. Where is Paul during all this ga;avanting you ask? Well, Paul isn't much for anything that involves being out of the house first of all, second of all he actually had a good excuse for once, he was finishing the hardwood flooring he'd been putting for two weeks. THe pool was awesome, but we obviously don't spend enough time there, Joseph is hesitant in the pool, not scared or fearful, but just hesitant. There are kids there that obviously spend a lifetime there and are swimming going under water, know how to breathe no floaties. And Joseph finally got comfortable using a floating ring. I'll take it, but then once he was ready to be in the pool, he didn't want to leave. I'll have to make sure we spend an entire day at the pool sometime soon.

The day started out nice and late and I didn't realize how hot and humid it was going to get, again, so I went on a run. This is the part I get to talk about an achievement I made. Well, I made several and I am thrilled. So I start the run, gearing up for running 6 minutes, walking 1:30, instead I run, it feels good, so I keep running, then I just keep running until it starts hurting, then I push myself to run until I reach the almost 1 mile mark. Awesome. Ran for 12:30. Wow. Walked 2:30 and ran 8:30, walked for 1:30 ran for 6:30, walked another 1:30 and finished my shortened (4.26) mile run with a 5 minute jaunt at the end. I was saturated in sweat and I know where to draw the line. When I can feel the sun literally cooking my body and the humidity is stuck to my skin, I get all tingly and a cool feeling that means I am probably going to pass out soon and it is time to wrap it up. I thought it was early enough in the morning to try to do a full 10K but I didn't bring water and 10:30am is HOT outside, VERY HOT in the summer. I'll settle for a little over 5K.

According to just math, I did over 5K in 37 minutes. I have tried everything, a pedometer, GPS tracking, stop watches etc.. but I can't ever seem to get a proper full reading on my length of running. This first 5K on Saturday July 3rd will be a good test, but I think I might need to visit the trail before hand, I like to get a good idea of points along the trail so I can push myself to an end point. Or maybe it will be good not knowing when or what the end looks like so I just have to keep running and keep pushing myself!!! More on this first 5K as it looms.....

No comments:

Post a Comment