Monday, December 27, 2010

And one thing led to another....

Well first, let me clarify.  There hasn't been A thing that has led to another thing in a while.  I love how movies like to cut short "love" scenes (I'll be less graphic here in my descriptions to save a certain mother's "virgin" ears..)  but narrating "and one thing led to another" as a couple fumble on the couch with sharp cut to scene couple wearing sheet over themselves with messy hair.

I was thinking the other night that, along with many changes children bring in our lives, another change is that there is no longer room for " and one thing led to another..."  One thing leads to another when nap time has been scheduled between a load of laundry put on, dryer running and the door locked, then one thing is scheduled to lead to another in plenty of time to finish the laundry and avoid being interrupted by a nap cut short.

Usually, now, one thing leads to another when I run to the mall for a quick half hour lunch break to pick up a pair of pants for my almost 4 year old, I happen to stop by the store that reads "today only 40% off" and find a gorgeous jacket, for the 40% off as described, my peripherals catch a glimpse of a fabulous pair of matching boots, that quite frankly, I've needed all season long and with this new jacket, it really sinches (sp?) the deal, and while waiting at the check out, I see a long sleeved t shirt I can't possibly live without in at least 3 different colors to be sure I am comfortable at all times, yet color coordinated.  And, one thing leads to another, my half hour lunch break has turned into a mini-half day 2.5 hour absence, and my visa bill is significantly larger than last month.

I'm fond of using the phrase when inexplicably behind deadline at work for something that should have taken half the amount of time planned.  "I was filling logs, then got caught in a deep conversation with the news director, had to leave for that lunch meeting (perhaps the above mentioned task?..) got caught in traffic and well, one thing led to another and here we are 3 weeks later and my one thing led to another line is pretty much all I've got."  Obviously, one is not impressed.  That line is very helpful, though it doesn't please my boss when describing my inability to complete tasks, or my husband when both trying to explain away why I haven't done an ounce of housework in 3 weeks, but managed to increase our monthly visa bill minimum payment by at least 20%.

Children, the price you have to pay for not having one thing lead to another anymore.  Or giving that phrase a whole new meaning and different set of applicable circumstances.  A small sacrifice, I remind myself that at almost 4, it is probably only 6 more years before my littlest man is itching to get out of his house and play at cooler friend's houses so that I'll once again have time on my hands for one thing to lead to another.  It's only a short term absence of that small amount of freedom that lead me to producing this particular freedom killing offspring. 

After all, one thing led to another and now I'm a parent and one thing doesn't ever lead to another anymore or at least, until there's nap time.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post :) Might be my favorite one yet. And how true - in 6 short years they will be busting out our of houses. Heck, Jackson's at my parent's this week and we can't get him on the phone.

    Oh..and "cinches" :)

    ReplyDelete