Thursday, January 6, 2011

All grows up.

Joseph is "All grows up" - thanks Vince Vaughn ala Swingers for that phrase I will use to describe my ever growing kid(s).

Already, he is so self sufficient, independent and cheeky and he's not even four yet.  Now, it's not like this is unexpected, I have tried to maintain a very relatisic approach to raising my kids, and understand they cut the cord a lot sooner than I will, but NOT YET FOUR?  I had mentally prepared myself for about 6, but not almost four.  He's growing at an exponential rate and I catch myself sometimes wondering where the child was last week that didn't know or care that it was Tuesday and not Thursday, but now 6 days later knows each day of the week in correct order, which day it is and that tomorrow is Friday, and Friday's are spent at Memmie and Pops house.  And adds, "I just want to stay at Memmie and Pops house, I like it there."  "Well, don't you like it at home?"  "Yes, but I like Memmie and Pops house, I can stay over there."

I'm glad he's so comfortable with relatives that he wants and does stay overnight and the freedom it gives me.  I'm also sad, because I'm glad, that this isn't a fad, my kids not bad, he's fab.  Sorry, just stroked out on Dr. Seuss for a second.. Ahem....

This happens to every kid, I geddit.  And it hits close to home for every parent.  He's still only a toddler, but he's already so grown up.  He doesn't need Mommy the way he needed me before, he's never been a "hiding behind my leg" kind of kid, he's always been shy/careful, but sociable and outgoing.  But the time he spends checking in with me or wanting me around is getting shorter and shorter.  It's only a matter of time, speeding away time, before he truly discovers that I am the uncoolest person on the planet and if I look at him the wrong way, I'll embarrass him in forever unforgettable torture he'll have to endure in front of his friends.

No more helping with socks, no more helping with shoes (except for laces), no more helping with clothes, no more helping with bathtime, no more helping kick a ball.  But so much more to learn and at least I can look forward to revelling in the joy that his successes will bring as he grows up to be a wonderful young man.

This is the problem with raising independent and self sufficient kids.  They grow away from you, which is so beautiful, but yet emotionally problematic for the parent.  The pride you feel for your kid walking confidently into the classroom, hooking up with his friends and participating, staying on "groovy green" the whole year and being a great kid, is juxtaposed against the feelings that make you want to grab a kleenex and dot away crocodile tears because he's so big today and he's just going to get bigger tomorrow.

Sniff, Sniff.

No comments:

Post a Comment