Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Social Media PDA and Valentine's Day.

I don't believe in either.

I have no problem laying a long juicy smooch on Mr. Price in public (you know, regular public, before facebook became the new public) and I'm definitely the opposite of shy when it comes to conversations about affection and how to apply it with your significant other, but, when it comes to a status update, or a 300 word dedication to your significant other, I'm just not that kinda gal.

As always, I dutifully acknowledge my lack of mature developed feelings and ability to express them in an adult manner, but when it comes to me and Mr. Price, I don't think my 174 friends and 6 followers really give a damn about how I love him and let me count the ways...or when I love him.  And if they do, they need to get a job.

Valentine's Day is also a waste of time.  I'm not going to go into one of those hippy rants about how "the man" and "Hallmark" came together to formulate a cockamaney holiday so people devoid of romance would spend ridiculous amount of money on severely inflated items such as flowers, cards and jewelery, I just think this particular holiday is a waste of time.  I didn't always think this way, but after I passed from "newlywed" into "married lady" I realized that Valentine's day had a 6 in 7 chance of falling on a day that involved my full time job, getting my son into bed and wondering if it had been too long since I had trimmed my toenails. I also took the practical stance that if either one of us had the extra money to spend on a crowded restaurant filled with couples that were basically performing a socially acceptable form of modern co-prostitution (man pays for dinner, woman buys nice dress, child at sitter or away, so later said couple can meet up at agreed location and perform scheduled expected "return on investment") we had the money to put it away and buy something bigger and better at a later date.  We never do.  But that still doesn't sway me.

No, I'm also not doing the "reverse psychology thing" where I say (typical chick methodology) that I don't like valentine's day but secretly want a dozen rozes delivered to my office.  No.  Again, no.  I'm doing the practical thing (in my mind) by just not participating.  Now I DO give my son a red heart lollipop in his lunch box or draw him a heart on his lunch sack and give him an extra big embarrassing mum sloppy kiss until he squirms out of my death grip, but I don't wish anyone a "happy valentine's day".  If Mr. Price wants to buy me a dozen roses, it works a lot better with sponteneity and making an occasion.  He recently hit the nail on the head (and luckily for him he's still wearing off the many brownie points he earned that day) by having a bouquet of flowers delivered to my office after we found out we were pregnant with #2 and the card read "Here's to being the best mom in the world one more time"  gush.  Sniff Sniff.  Gets me every time.  Now, THAT is the kind of affection and special day I can buy into.  I'll always remember that day and keep THAT card, versus keeping track of the cards I received on the same day every year, year after year.


Love that guy.  And that's all you're going to get out of me. 

Anymore than that and I will claim temporary emotional insanity caused by raging hormones producing another human.

Looking for the tiny bit of my philosophy in this timely post?  Well here it is, You don't have to buy something for someone on some day and sit in some restaurant to make someone feel special.  Romance is tricky 5+ years into marriage, good luck figuring it out.  I'm still working on it.

Aww, looking for a solution, and I just handed the ball back to you in your court?  Sorry mate.  Figure it out yourself, I have no clue!  I just do what works for me, and that changes... depending on what mood I'm in.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, funny, but I see nothing wrong with a LITTLE electronic PDA. So how would you handle Valentines also being your anniversery. Tricky. :)

    ReplyDelete