Saturday, July 3, 2010

32:58

Not sure what is cooler right now, the fact that I finished my first 5K in a GREAT time (for my very first one) or the fact that I didn't keel over at the finish line. It was fun, the only "hard" part was at the very beginning when I was trying to navigate through all the crowds to get me some running space, that was very annoying. I didn't know if I was going to want to stop or need to stop, I just kept going. My real goal was to keep up with Andrea since her training had been going well and I have been plagued with a knee/leg/ankle injury and took two days off. Plus I only made 28 minutes in a row, no stopping, once, so the fact that I hadn't yet run a complete 5K yet was nerve racking. I also (very annoyingly) fought off adrenaline and the feeling like I needed to take off like a shot for like the first 2 miles, so when I actually needed the shot at the end, my adrenaline had already worn off and I was just sore and tired.

I wrapped my ankles like I used to before a dancing competition and that really helped, I also wore a knee bandage which was kind of ok, but I don't think I'll wear it again unless I can see a definite improvement wearing it, it kind of psyched me out I was very aware of teh bandage throughout the entire race. I think we were towards the end of the "running" pack. I bet the last actual runner came in at around the 40:00 mark. The winner for the BGSG in my age group timed at 23:00, so if I ran at 23:00 again, I'd come in like 6th place in my age group. I bet one day I could run it in under 25:00, but I think my goal here is to get to a comfortable pace and run a 10K. I'm going to let Andrea talk me into doing a half marathon or duathalon, I don't really want to, I like to start off small, but I'll let Andrea coax me into the idea, it really is a lot easier with a running buddy! It was so nice and extra fun/special to share this first race with her! It was more fun because of the friendship I think, I could have done it on my own, but I bet I might have stopped, also Paul and Joseph had a pal there, Bailey Jake and Joseph got to play and run around and Brad and Paul got to work on their bromance. What a great cheer team, Paul spent the entire time running around the course trying to get different photos of Andrea and I mid run so we could look back at it all, that was very considerate of Paul, I will be able to look back and know everything about my first race! I've given Joseph the running bug, so I will enter him in the fastest kid in town race in August as well as any little run I can put him in. I bet right now he could run 1/2 mile no problem. I might start training him, it'll be difficult, because I'd have to have "two" training/exercise sessions a day, one for me and one for him, but there's much more I'd do for that kid so it's not that bad.

I'm ready to run more 5K. I'm ready to lose some weight after kicking my arse at exercising. That was never my actual goal to loose weight, but now I'd like to see something come off, the sweat says that should be so!

I'm working on resting my knee, the next 5K in July 21st I think, BGSG, maybe shave it down to 30:00 by then? I like to dream big!

No comments:

Post a Comment